Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Transplant complete

Now the transplant is done, I'm all better and can get on to getting home, yeah?
Not that fast or simple, my peoples. i wish it were. Now comes the steep and heavy watchful eyes on my poor battered immuno system. I must remain healthy. No infections, no illnesses, no colds, no sneezing, no throat tickles, no nothing.

The transplant itself was indeed anti-climactic. I actually slept through most of it, as the additive they put in the stem cells from Jeanne, made me sleepy when combined with the Adovair(sp?). And today, the day after, I apparently smell an awful lot like creamed corn. Cooking up right here in my little chamber at the U of C Medical Center. Of course, i cannot smell it, as it the odor is oozing from my pores, but those who walk in my small domain comment on it as if I were the Del Monte man himself. The other small side effect I noticed was that with every bag of cells, my face would flush and my temperature would elevate a tad. But after the second bag, I slept though the remainder of the transplant, so I cannot accurately relay if this occurred on every bag.

Yesterday, after I awoke from my restful procedure, my appetite was back on track, and I was ravished and ate a hot dog, followed by some beef panang. Now as I wake this morning, my usual hunger pains that I have become accustomed to having the minute I open my eyes are not with me. In fact I feel bloated and full, even though I am not holding anything inside, at least not that I'm aware. i wonder if one or two of these anti-biotics are bloating me out or maybe it was the MSG in my panang. Either way, I am not hungry as per usual, and that is kind of bumming me out a bit. I do have a bit of nervous energy, but that may be from all of the sleep I've accumulated in the past 36 hours. I suspect that as soon as I am able (when the lounge opens) I will go down the hall and get on the stationary bike, just to calm myself down and perhaps burn off some of this bloat.

The sun comes up as I write and I can't help to think "Another Sunrise Seen, Another Blessing". Little more than three months ago, I certainly was in no shape to even think about moving around and getting down the hall, let alone on a bike of any sorts. All i have to this time is stay the hell outta the ICU, remain healthy, and wait. Tick, tock.

I appreciate all the well wishes, prayers and thoughts that came across yesterday, and I hope you all will see me succeed at kicking cancer's carapace in a righteous manner. When I am well, I will invite you all to a grand party for us all to celebrate together, so that I may show my gratitude in person.

Patience.

7 comments:

  1. Mark, You are truly a fighter. I love your spirit and attitude through this whole process. I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Keep on "keepin on". Kandi and Dick Vancura

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Man! Positive vibrations coming to you, Live from the Eastside.
    Stomp and J9

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much love and healing thoughts to you my dear friend. Esther

    ReplyDelete
  4. You Rock! Keep on fighting! You'll be home before you know it. -Michelle

    p.s. hope you'll be able to get full Derby coverage on saturday. i'll have a few extra mint juleps for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat and Barb KerriganApril 28, 2010 at 10:04 PM

    Keep up the fight and the Positive Thinking is wonderful. We are praying so hard for you, and Thinking about you each and everyday. Love you. Pat and Barb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very much a blessing. Can't wait to see you Mark and give you a big ole hug. Think of Lance while you peddle :) XXOO Jamie Ron and kids

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been awhile since I posted a comment on your blog. . lost all my Favorites on my PC but Leslie's Mom forward the link to me today. It is nice to see that you have enjoyed some baseball games (even though it wasn't the Cubs)and that you, Leslie, and Godiva were able to take a road trip to FL before the transplant. Your sister is an angel and you are so blessed to have her and your beautiful girlfriend Leslie in your life. Keep that positive attitude and kick this awful disease. As always you both are in my thoughts and prayers. Florette

    ReplyDelete